Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Energy and Karma


Today I was grocery shopping with my husband when a teenage boy and his mother walked up to us. They told us that their church was asking the members to go out into the community and pray for people who need it. At first I was worried they were going to try to preach jesus and try to “save” us, but that is not what happened at all. The boy asked if there was anything in our lives currently that we needed help with. As it so happens, I have been having a hard time lately with my mental illness. I’ve been on and off depressed and have started self-mutilating again (which I know is a terrible coping mechanism, but honestly I’ve been so off lately I turned to it). I decided to tell the boy and his mother this. They asked if it would be okay to pray with us, and I said that was fine. The mom asked to put her hand on my shoulder, which I said was okay, and they prayed that god would help me in my time of need. Then they thanked us and I hugged the woman before they walked off.

                Obviously I am not a Christian, but to me I see Christian prayer as putting out good energy. The fact that two people who do not really know me were willing to take time to put that good energy in the world really made me feel good.

                Energy is so important and such a big part of my spirituality. There’s the “rule” that everything you put out into the world can and will come back to you three-fold.

 

                Another really big part of my spirituality is Karma. I did not post this here when it happened; because everything in my life was so chaotic then, but when my son was born he had a lot of health issues. He was born premature, septic, could not regulate his own breathing, and could not eat. He was put on medication for seizure activity for the first few days of his life. He ended up spending almost three weeks in the hospital’s NICU and it was so hard on our family. When he was two days old, the doctors finally let me hold him. It was so wonderful to finally hold and kiss my little boy. After I rocked him to sleep, I noticed a tag on the blanket they had him in. It said Project Linus:

 


 

When I was in high school, I was part of our school’s thespian troupe. One year we did the musical You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown! and due to that, as a charity event we participated in Project Linus. Project Linus is a charity that provides  love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.” We decided to become “blanketeers” and made dozens of blankets for children in need. I participated in this charity for three years, the entire time I was at that high school.

 

 


 

And now, as an adult, here I sat with my baby in the NICU and I see this tag. I started crying instantly. I never really realized just how important all of those blankets we made were until that very moment. I thought about how many other moms sat in NICUs or ICUs or cancer wards with their babies, trying hard to keep it together and that those blankets that we made were keeping their children warm while they struggled to live.

This was the biggest moment in my life when it comes to Karma. I sat there with my peers and made blankets for children, and then some other person who I don’t know sat there and made one for my son. My son who had everything against him, thankfully proved the doctors wrong and gained his strength and health back much faster than they thought and has just turned a year old.

 

The point I’m trying to make is that all the good energy you put out, all of that Karma, it does come back to you. Sometimes in the strangest way. So, while I do not believe in jesus, the fact that those two individuals at the grocery store took time out of their day to send out good energy and Karma really meant a lot to me.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post It's so important to me that we all coexist, especially those of us with strong religious and spiritual passions. I believe we're all a part of something so much bigger than individuals or religion and that God (Gods) is/are love and that the more love and positivity we put out- the better we all are. This is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete