Friday, May 18, 2012

Q&A Part One


1.     So who do you worship and what are your beliefs?

a.     Paganism is an earth based religion dating back to the ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Celts, etc. I believe that god has no gender so we say Lord and Lady, but in paganism we honor the goddess more because women give life. The goddess has three stages: maiden mother and crone, and each pagan woman goes through those stages as well. I just started a new book of shadows (basically a book that I write my beliefs and rituals in that will be passed down to my children) because I just entered a new stage of life by entering motherhood. We do not believe in a he'll or a devil, and my belief is that there is a "heaven" but it's different than the Christian view of it. I believe it is a waiting place for your soul and that when your soul has met up with the other souls it needs to be complete that you are reincarnated. The faith is a lot about energy and how to use it.

2.     Do you guys have a church and how does one enter into the religion. I love the fact that you worship a god that does not have a gender and doesn't preach about hell. If you are reincarnated do you ever reach heaven? Do you ever get to see dead love ones?

a.     All pagans believe different things, there is no book or church. But I believe there is a waiting place for your soul. And after you have waited in that place for those you loved then you are sent back to earth. During Samhain the veil between the living and dead is the thinnest and I speak to those who have passed. My best friend was killed in a gun accident and I know he sees me because I feel him then.

3.     What sort of holidays do you have? How exactly do you celebrate?

a.     Basically, for each sabbat we have a circle/ritual. These can be done either alone at your own personal altar or with others in a larger circle. The rituals are to honor the gods and goddesses that the ritual is for (like Ostara is a fertility ritual, so you’d honor the goddess of fertility). My friend K. honors the Egyptian gods, while I stick to Greek and Norse typically. It’s just a preference thing

·         YULE: Dec. 21

·         IMBOLC: February 2

·         OSTARA: March 20

·         BELTANE: May 1

·         LITHA: June 21

·         LUGHNASSADH: August 1

·         MABON: Sept. 21

·         SAMHAIN: October 31- November 1

4.     In order to "be" Pagan I guess by birth... is it your mom or your dad who needs to be? I mean like for Muslims, and the dad technically has to be... in the Jewish faith, it's the mom. Is there anything like that with you? Did you make the decision to be Pagan on your own without your family having those specific beliefs?

a.     There's nothing like that in Paganism, it's either what you chose to believe (like I converted) or something your family believes. I had a friend who's mom was Pagan and so therefor she was, but with me I was raised Catholic and converted when I was 14.

5.     How did your family take it at first? And what all is involved with the conversion process? Is there a ritual/ceremony type deal, or just certain words you have to say and believe?

a.     My family thought I was worshipping the devil at first. Then they asked me if I sacrificed animals. Then they made it a joke. And now they accept it as my spirituality and will attend some ceremonies (my very Christian father and step mother even came to my handfasting, which was awesome to have that kind of support). My mother is agnostic so she comes to rituals sometimes too. AS for converting, I did a ritual that was a dedication to the Goddess (much like confirmation in Catholicism).

6.     How do you cast a circle?

a.     Everyone casts their circles different, but for me I use salt around the perimeter of the circle to banish negativity, say something about how we are no longer a part of the outside world, and then call the quarters (while touching the corresponding elements on my altar)

7.     Do you connect with any deities?
Hestia is my patron goddess. I usually use the Greek deities. Hestia is goddess of the hearth (home) and now as a mother I feel even more connected t

1 comment:

  1. Love the Q and A! That is so awesome that you are so in tuned with your beliefs. I believe in some of the teachings and this taught me so much more!

    ReplyDelete