Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Finding myself and finding god(dess)

I'm feeling very self reflective right now so I thought I'd give you a little history about me and also how I found my faith! I mentioned before that I live with two mental illnesses, but didn't explain how the diagnosis has effected my life. I was going down a very scary road before, full of self harm, sex, drugs, and anything reckless I could do (shop lifting, spending sprees, etc). I was first diagnosed with borderline at nineteen after a suicide attempt while I was away in college. I spent a little over a week in a mental health hospital and then did out patient hospitalization after that. This didn't really help much, other than making me feel less crazy because now I could put a reason to some of my behaviors. The reason it didn't help was I still had an untreated chemical imbalance that I was later diagnosed with once I came back home and was sent to another hospital. Bipolar disorder runs in my family on my father's side and once they figure out that I had it things started making even more sense.  I went through a year of trig different Meds and doctors before we finally figured out what worked. My life is so much better now that I got the help I needed. If any of you have a problem, I strongly encourage you to seek help. But as for my faith, well it kind of just fell into my lap. I was thirteen when I first heard of a form of paganism called Wicca. I had been living with my dad and a girl at school brought a book about it. It really interested me so I did some research and a year later started seriously practicing. I was fourteen when I did my dedication to the goddess and it has positively influenced my life ever since. I was raised catholic and never once did I feel a connection to god, but a few months before my dedication I was doing a ritual and felt... It was almost like an out of body experience. And somehow I knew, it was god. Ever since then, even when my life was falling apart, it was the only thing that's ever totally made sense. That's my story of finding faith, what's yours? I'd love to hear what you have to say! Take care and blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment