Saturday, April 14, 2012

Handfasting

My husband is at work and the bumble bee is sleeping so I thought I'd share more about our life!  I met my husband in May of 2010 and six months later married him (November 11th). He is my best friend and I am lucky to have found such an amazing man. Usually what happens in my spirituality is a handfasting for a year and a day before the wedding. Well, we did it backwards! A year and a day after our wedding, we were handfasted. A handfasting is a binding of cords, each symbolizing a different aspect of the union. Examples would be strength or honor. My friend K, who is also the bumble bee's Mentor, performed the ritual in our backyard with our friends and family present. It was lovely and we had a party afterward, which I couldn't drink at since I was seven months pregnant. Next month will be two years since I've been with my husband and I have come to realize that marriage is very different than what I believed it would be. It's not all about romance 24/7, it's about driving around and missing your exit because you're laughing so hard, it's about holding your child for the first time, an it's about getting to have a sleep over with your best friend every night of the week. At least, that's what it's about to us. It can be difficult at times, but it's family. And that's what's important. I guess I've rambled on enough about my marriage, haha. If you have any questions about a handfasting or are thinking of having your own- let me know! I'm building a ready-made kit for purchase so people can have the cords, ritual, and other tools needed to perform their own ceremony. Take care and blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment